Can't install vim - Volumio 2 Pi 3

Hi, started by trying to install vi (vim) and the apt-get errors continue. Any ideas?

root@volumio:/etc/apt# apt-get -f dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  apt gnupg gpgv libapt-pkg4.12 libcairo2 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-common libgudev-1.0-0 libhogweed2 libnettle4 libpcre3 libpcre3-dev
  libpcrecpp0 libvpx1 multiarch-support openssh-client openssh-server openssh-sftp-server python-talloc systemd systemd-sysv tzdata
22 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
12 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/14.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 2429 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
(Reading database ... 20190 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../systemd_215-17+deb8u4_armhf.deb ...
Unpacking systemd (215-17+deb8u4) over (215-17+deb8u3) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u4_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service', which is also in package systemd-shim 9-1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for dbus (1.8.20-0+deb8u1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u4_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hi,

we don’t use the standard raspbian distribution, the volumio distro only contains packages and libraries which are needed to run Volumio 2, so you do not need to use dist-upgrate.
just try sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install vim

or just use nano instead. I believe thats in already?

Hi, thank you for the reply. I can manage with nano, but trying to do apt-get upgrade fails. Any thoughts on that?

Yeah don’t do it. It will break volumio, it relies on a very particular build and dependencies.

Hi,
I have the same issue as it seems I can’t use apt-get due to the dependency.
However I’d like to link a LastFM account to my Volumio 2 and so need to install mpdscribble package.
Any idea how I can do?

Trillien

As AlphaPapa wrote, don’t do upgrade,
try sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install mpdscribble
and install any dependencies manually.
We can’t do on-demand installation of packages, unless there is high demand for it.

Am getting the same problem.

After a failed apt-get dist-upgrade, I tried to install wiringpi :

# apt-get -uVf install wiringpi Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done wiringpi is already the newest version. You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these: The following packages have unmet dependencies: libpam-systemd : Depends: systemd (= 215-17+deb8u5) but 215-17+deb8u4 is to be installed systemd : Depends: libsystemd0 (= 215-17+deb8u4) but 215-17+deb8u5 is to be installed E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Trying to force the upgrade failed too

Unpacking systemd (215-17+deb8u5) over (215-17+deb8u4) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u5_armhf.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service', which is also in package systemd-shim 9-1
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)
addgroup: The group `systemd-journal' already exists as a system group. Exiting.
Processing triggers for dbus (1.8.20-0+deb8u1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u5_armhf.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

The problem is I could not downgrade libsystemd0 back to 215-17+deb8u4 (and could not find a .deb for that)

Had to force the install of systemd :

dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/systemd_215-17+deb8u5_armhf.deb

which is probably a bad idea. Then I could continue with my apt-get install wiringpi.

gkkpch’s answer about “we don’t use the standard raspbian distribution” makes me wonder if volumio is a “hackable” distribution. Can I add stuff that I would easily add on a debian, some related to volumio (eg. physical buttons, LCD, etc.), some not (I might want to run some additional software).

Volumio is your typical debian, so its quite hackable. However if you overwrite some of the core packages , Volumio might stop working (since its an heavily customized system)…
Furthermore, wiring pi is already included :wink:

Im having a similar issue but I’m trying to install Roon Bridge …I did this on one setup but the exact same setup on a similar Rpi3 is failing

I need to install bzip2 I think it is to get the unpacker to work

This is what I ran last time to I nstall roon but it fails this time at the first command. I tried just the bzip2 install and that wouldn’t fly either

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install bzip2

Then to install Roon Bridge armv7hf

curl -O download.roonlabs.com/builds/roo … armv7hf.sh
chmod +x roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh
sudo ./roonbridge-installer-linuxarmv7hf.sh

Getting roon bridge on my volumio is good as it works fine when I want roon, but I like volumio so I can use the setup (with an iqaudio digiamp-amp+) stand alone with a USB drive

Please don’t use apt-get upgrade. It will break things.

Would be of much more help to tell me what I should do :smiley: as opposed to what not to do :open_mouth: trying to learn some things here…software is not my strength, hardware is tho, but not not much help to me at this point in proceedings. :blush:

“Things will break” is a little vague. Is there a list somewhere of the packages that need to be locked at a particular version?

sudo apt-mark hold package_name

could take care of such things while allowing sudo apt-get upgrade to upgrade packages which are compatible.

(Note: locking such packages, as part of the initial setup script, would forestall a whole lot of “I did an apt-get upgrade and now my Volumio doesn’t work.” complaints.)

Just apt-get update and apt-get install will allow to install pretty much anything…

apt-get update apt-get install vim

Something must have been screwed up in the repositories as the exact same commands I ran 48 hours ago that failed are now working…sometimes I hate computers… :smiling_imp:

Yes, that should answer the OP’s question and (I can attest) does not break anything.

I was asking a different question: apparently there are packages that should not be upgraded (because upgrading them will break something). I would like to explicitly lock those packages so that I don’t (deliberately or accidentally) upgrade them.

Hi,

I had a very similar issue when I tried to upgrade packages under Volumio.
As I understand there are some installed packages depending on systemd version 215-17+deb8u4, and others on version 215-17+deb8u6 (I see 215-17+deb8u5 in your case).

I downloaded manually the deb file systemd_215-17+deb8u6 from Debian package FTP:

wget http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/systemd/systemd_215-17+deb8u6_armhf.deb

And then I forced the installation with dpkg:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite systemd_215-17+deb8u6_armhf.deb

I tried to update and upgrade but I obtained the issue

Cannot remove file: "Structure needs cleaning"

I rebooted the Raspberry Pi and tried again with success

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
I finally managed to upgrade the Raspberry Pi with the latest drivers
Think to add RaspberryPi repository in /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list deb http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/ jessie main
Be careful as this may break the Volumio application. I’ve only check the web app is working.

Cannot remove file: "Structure needs cleaning"

means you have file-system corruption.

This is a little tricky to fix because you can’t run fsck on a filesystem that’s mounted R/W (and the Pi needs to boot off the SD card containing the root filesystem which you need to fix). Fortunately, Linux can boot off a Read-only filesystem. And then you can run fsck on it … !

So you can (assuming you are SSHing into the Pi):

• make the root filesystem read-only by editing /etc/fstab. Specifically, change
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults,utf8,user,rw,umask=111,dmask=000        0       1

to

/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot           vfat    defaults,utf8,user,ro,umask=111,dmask=000        0       1
  • Reboot.
  • Run fsck.
  • Reboot again.
  • Remount the root filesystem R/W.
  • Edit /etc/fstab again to restore the previous setting.
  • Reboot once more.

and everything should be back to normal.

More complete instructions can be found here.

I had this happen to me once. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but worked out fine. At worst, you’ll have to reflash the SD card, if you screw up.

Thanks for the help !
In fact my filesystem corruption happened on /var which is stored in RAM I guess based on mount -l
That’s why the error disappears as I reboot the OS.