Attached USB HD- adding music, CD Rip?

running Volumio2 (v.976) with a HiFi Berry DAC+.

Looking for the easiest way to add music/files to my library- attached via USB HD.

Ideally, would like to rip my CDs directly into the lib, but it looks like that is not currently supported. If anyone has any movement on this, that would be great- I’d like to add my slot-loading optical drive to my Volumio setup to make it automatically rip the inserted cd, add it to my library, and eject. I got halfway there with Rune, but that UI is so unfavorable, I’m committed to Volumio… but:

Is there an easy/elegant way to add music?

Looking to make my volumio box as standalone as possible- I am integrating it with my music system, so I would like to use it as my primary digital music source. Control via the webUI is cool, but if when I get a new CD or download, if I have to pull the HD out it is not cool. Copying files via console/terminal (Im primarily Mac based) is not terrible, but not great.

I also have another Pi as a lightweight desktop just for kicks, so If i rip there and there was an easy hookup to my embedded HD that would be alright.

What is everyone else doing? How are y’all adding new music? Or is everyone connecting to networked drives?

Update:
After looking at it with clean eyes, I got ABCDE installed and working. With some small modifications, I at least have automated CD ripping.

Working on getting the settings for ABCDE correct and having it placed properly in my main storage drive. Not a Volumio problem, but something I think can be solved with a script that looks at a certain folder on the SD card and copies the file to the appropriate folder in my external HD (trying to avoid multiple artist folders). If someone feels charitable on how to do that that would be awesome, but I can post elsewhere for that.

What I would like to have help with is how to access the HD connected to my Volumio box from a Mac not via Terminal?.
I can successfully SSH into it, so I know its connected and working.
I can get there with Cyberduck SSH and browse the whole system from there, which is a step ahead (at least a little more GUI) - but i would like to make it a little more simple:
It shows up in my Network from the finder, but I can only login as “Guest” - Registered user does not work with u/p “volumio/volumio” , “root/volumio” , “raspberry/pi” or any of the iterations of those…

What I’m trying to do is have the easiest access to my files from a desktop: say I get a download code for a record I bought, d/l to my laptop, and want to add it into an artist album on the Jukebox HD - drag n drop style easy peasy.

Any help?

One way is to share your usb via smb from volumio.
To do that you have to edit the file (using ssh)

/etc/samba/smb.conf

and add

[usb] comment = usb path = /media read only = no guest ok = yes
then update the system :

sudo smbcontrol reload-config

now from your file browser you should see your usb hd.
This is a example, you may have to adapt the path to what you want if needed.

Awesome! thanks man
That worked - kind of.

I can see the hd on the USB portion: but accessing it is SLLLLLOOOOOOWWW
Like - click on an artist folder and its anywhere between 2s and 20s to see the list of subfolders. Click on subfolder and its…well its longer.

I do not think its network speed: I can access it via SSH from terminal or SSH vis cyberduck within a few seconds…
Is there another parameter that is blocking my access or perhaps forcing an index or something?

Also, after a google, i still dont undestand:

Ive swapped WiFi networks but no change.
Appreciate the tip! Is there something I’m doing/not doing thats making this stupid slow?

Hi justshell, I am trying to make abcde work with Volumio but still unsuccessful. You say in your post:

“After looking at it with clean eyes, I got ABCDE installed and working. With some small modifications, I at least have automated CD ripping.”

This is what I want I have problems mounting the DVD Reader (I see sr0 but it’s not mounted) hence the execution of abcde.

Can you please help ? How did you do it ?

Thank you and regards