Airplay player name keeps changing after restart or save

I think I’ve found a bug & I’m hoping you can help me find a workaround.

I’m using Volumio as an Airplay receiver, but the player name keeps changing from Victor to victor (I named the player Victor because I’ve assigned it to the VCR button on my universal remote, which works wonderfully thanks to a Flirc usb IR receiver dongle).

In Volumio system settings, I name the player Victor & click Save. It shows up in iTunes airplay as Victor - and that’s correct.

But if I restart Volumio, it will sometimes show up in iTunes as victor, all lowercase, even though in the Volumio System Settings, it shows it as Victor, capitalized.

If I rename it in Volumio system settings as victor, all lowercase, it will switch back to Victor, capitalized, as soon as I click away from System Settings and come back again. Try it in your Volumio and you should see the same thing: Give an all-lowercase name, save, then click to Appearance (or any other page). Now click back to System for system settings and you’ll see that it’s been changed to being capitalized despite what you’d saved. But even though it’s now capitalized, the payer name being broadcast to Airplay might be all lowercase. If it is, click Save below Player Name and it should revert to being broadcast as capitalized - but but but - after a restart, it might revert to being all lowercase.

I’ve tried to I fix it by changing the player’s upmpdcli.conf setting to use the original Upnp “Freindly Name” (UpMpd), or by using Volumio’s (VolumioUpnp) but that had no effect. Volumio still reverts to capitalizing it in system settings, and Airplay sees it as Victor, but after a restart or a save in settings, it reverts to being lowercase.

I need the name to always be the same for Airplay because I’m using code on another machine to switch streaming from one Airplay receiver to another at the click of a remote button.

…by the way, I’m LOVING Volumio. I wish I’d found Volumio years ago. Mine is paired up with a Pi 3b and an Allo Boss DAC, plus the Flirc IR receiver I mentioned above. What a killer combo.

Bump!

Please see a related thread on this issue: volumio2-change-airplay-and-hostname-t5050.html

I made my main post in the other thread as I believe it’s the more likely one to be happened upon by people Googling this issue.