What is Volumio
Volumio is a Free and Open Source Linux Distribution, designed and fine-tuned exclusively for music playback.
It runs on a variety of devices, typically small and cheap computers like Raspberry PI, but also on low power PCs, Notebooks or Multimedia PCs.
By flashing (installing) Volumio on any of this platforms, it will then become a headless Audiophile Music Player. Headless means that the only way to control it will be with another device, such as a Smartphone, Tablet, PC or anything that has a browser.
This is made possible by Volumio’s UI: a web applications that runs on any device with a browser, and that allows an easy and intuitive control of your playback sessions. All communications between the Web App and Volumio will happen through your home network.
- Runs on Raspberry PI, UDOO, Cubox-i, Odroid, PC, Mac and a variety of other small devices
- Minimal operating system, tailored for Bit-Perfect Audio Playback
- The system is loaded entirely on RAM and optimized for lightweight operations
- Various Audio related tweaking for best audio performances
- Works with any USB 2.0 DAC
- Raspberry PI and Odroid I2S DACs supported natively
- Supports all filetypes: FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Mp3, DSD etc
- UPNP Playback
- Airplay Playback
- DSD Over PCM support, for non Direct-DSD compatible hardware
- Integrated WebRadio directories
- If a compatible wireless hardware is found, Volumio will create a hotspot network for first configuration
- Mount CIFS and NFS Network Attached Storage, with an auto-discovery function
- Custom playlist editing and creation
- Plugin support with new functions available like Spotify and Digital Room Correction
- Seamless update system: no need to reinstall when a new version is available
- Multilanguage with a growing number of translations available
- Image background support, even your favourite one
- Alarm and sleep function
how does it work
Once you’ve installed (or flashed) Volumio to your device, and connected it to your network and Audio equipment you will be ready to play. Volumio will discover automatically the music on a USB drive, or allow you to connect your network storage and your streaming services account.
From now on you will control your playback from anything that has a browser: a tablet, a mobile phone, a computer or even your Smart TV.
Volumio can adapt itself to a variety of configurations.
A CLOUD SERVICE FOR MUSIC LOVERS: MYVOLUMIO!
By subscribing to one of our premium plans, you will be able to get the following premium features:
- TIDAL and QOBUZ Native integrations
- Remote control of your Volumio device from myvolumio.org
- Automatic synchronization and backup of Favourites, Playlists, and Webradios to all your devices
how can you use it