Have you ever wondered how good can Volumio get?
The Folks at Axiom Audio did. And it turns out they were not dreaming when they had the idea to pack their 30 and more years of expertise in building excellent Audiophile systems into a compact, groundbreaking and amazingly sounding device. Not satisfied, they decided to base it on an Open Source Solution, which you may know something about.
Meet AxiomAir: a portable, great sounding multiroom system, based on Volumio.
AxiomAir brings the best of Axiom Audio and Volumio philosophies into one:
- Quality: No compromises on Sound Quality. The System is designed to play up to 24/192, withouth resampling, compression or sound degradation. The unit features an high quality DAC and a 150W Class D amplifier, feeding 2 6,5 aluminium dome woofer and 2 titanium dome tweeters.
- Freedom: Plays everything. From your files on USB or NAS to streaming services. WebRadios, UPNP, DLNA and much more. We’re working hard to integrate it with every music service available. And, due to its open nature, AxiomAir will be updatable and up with the times. Furthermore, being based on Volumio, there will be plenty of room for tinkering (yes, open access and freedom to mess with it).
- Convenience: As you do with Volumio, control it via a completely redesigned WebUI. Or from its Android or iOs app. And if you want it portable, just add a battery pack and bring it everywhere, for up to 18 hours of music.
What makes it so special
I’ve had various feedbacks from people asking what’s really new about AxiomAir, often referring to similar solutions, like Sonos for example. Well, AxiomAir is designed to be as intuitive, but you’ll get at least 3 advantages:
- Portable, while others aren’t
- Better Sounding, (and I know what I’m talking about). Way better sounding, I could add.
- Flexible: try to play from a USB key with other solutions, or from a NAS… BTW, did I mention that AxiomAir has also a AUX input?
Another interesting feature that we wanted to bring into AxiomAir is a wireless hotspot: so you can play your tunes wirelessly even without a home network. Besides convenience, Wireless connection has a great advantage as well: compared to Bluetooth, it doesn’t affect sound quality at all.
So, if you want to see what Volumio can do at its most splendor, AxiomAir is such thing. And by backing on Kickstarter, you’ll not also help making it reality, but you’ll also get an outstanding product saving over the retail price.
The People and Philosophy behind the project
What you see here is the result of over a year of a truly inspiring partnership with Ian (Axiom’s CEO), Andrew (Axiom’s electronic and acoustic genious) and the whole Axiom team. From the very beginning we took the committment to bring the best of Open Source and Community driven approach, and take it to the next level with a great hardware design. Knowing them, and knowing how much passion is going into this, I have no doubt that this is going to be simply excellent.
What’s also notable, is that Ian and Axiom want this committment to get back to the community, releasing as much as possible of the improvements made for AxiomAir to the community.
That’s something unique here: driven by passion, powered by open source.
I apologize for being driven by excitement, and not getting too technical. But, for those of you in need of specs (and I know you are…) here you’ll see:
What more to say? Back it! And most important, spread the word: share it to your friends, to your favourite troll, to mom, dad and boss!
I am also eager to know your comments and suggestions: since it comes from Volumio (and Volumio is what it is also thanks to you, the community) every suggestion can contribute to make it a better product!