volumio 1.5 shown as renderer "null:upmpdcli"

I installed 1.5 and control it via dlna with the wellknown android app “bubbleUpnp”.

Everything seems fine. One minor, albeit more optical problem is that within bubbleupnp, the volumio renderer is not shown under its proper name, but as null:updmpcli ??m

Any way i can give a nice name?

you can rename Volumio on the System page (reboot is required)

Actually I did rename and rebooted, and I think thats when the trouble started. BubbleUPNP, my DLNA controller on the network, does not recognize the name I gave to volumio, but always lists it as a renderer by the name of “null:upmpdcli” for some reason :frowning:

best, corduroy

corduroy,

What name did you give it ? There may be some illegal characters (in the computing and not the legal sense). :laughing:

In the meantime I will test again but it has worked for me before.

Actually I have managed to reproduce the problem.
If the player name is blank (see below) then in Bobble the RENDERER name is displayed as “null: Upnpdcli”.

2014-11-20 Player Name Blank.JPG

It also seems that the player name accepts spaces, underscores(_) and full stops (.)

Kevin

I named it “volumio”. But now I renamed it again, restarted again and again the name was not correct. However, when changing the name and pressing the APPLY button, volumio issued a warning like “failed - background worker busy”

best,
corduroy

I named it “volumio”. But now I renamed it again, restarted again and again the name was not correct. However, when changing the name and pressing the APPLY button, volumio issued a warning like “failed - background worker busy”

best,
corduroy

Yes the failed background worker message is confusing. Not sure what it means and ignore it generally !

What works for me is

1. Change name
  2. Hit APPLY
  3. Ignore failed background worker
  4. Reboot

I always use hard wired ethernet, so not sure if things behave differently with wireless.

Kevin

Hello

Don’t work for me.
But if I the service mangement Airplay at On, the name is ok on the Upnp controleur point…
Strange. But it’s work with this setting… A problem with the server name with upnp ?

Hello,

I have the same problem with the name…

BR
Pascal

Thank you! This helps me understand the problem! (since I always use airplay…) Thank you!

Fixed :wink:
github.com/volumio/Volumio-WebU … 537de77655

You’re welcome :slight_smile:. And thanks you for your Software :slight_smile:

As I was the original poster I just wanted to say: Same for me, if I switch Airplay on, then the name of DLNA renderer is shown as I set it up in the menu.

Best, corduroy