[Solved] Volumio 1.5 and Spotify

Well congratulations to those responsible for getting this update out … it’s a really important upgrade for my particular usage. Unfortunately though, I don’t seem to be getting Spotify to work. Of course I’ve switched the spotify option on, entered my premium account details, and rebooted but no sign of Spotify.

Is there a volumio log file somewhere that I can trace the problem … I’ve looked but can’t find one? Nothing obvious in the log files in /var/log.

I disabled the log. I’m gonna lead you trough this.
First step:
Did you hear the startup sound? Once this happens, after few seconds you should be able to see the spotify entry in the browse tab. We can check if spop is running: type with SSH

pstree

and paste output here

No sound … i have the RPi away from the stereo at my PC for the update.

pstree output (no idea what the additional characters are from)

volumio@volumio:~$ pstree
initââ¬âavahi-daemonâââavahi-daemon
ââdbus-daemon
ââdhclient
ââloginâââbash
ââminidlna
ââmonit
ââmpdâââ5*[{mpd}]
âânginxââânginx
âânmbd
ââphp5-fpmâââ7*[php5-fpm]
ââplayer_wdog.shâââsleep
ââplayer_wrk.php
âârpc.idmapd
âârpc.statd
âârpcbind
ââshairportâââ{shairport}
ââsmbdâââsmbd
ââsshdâââsshdâââsshdâââbashâââpstree
ââupmpdcliâââ7*[{upmpdcli}]
ââwinbinddâââwinbindd
ââwpa_supplicant

Ok, so spop is not running. Do this:
turn on the pi. Wait at least 3 minutes. Go into settings again. turn spotify off and hit apply. Then turn spotify on again, and re-type your credentials, then hit apply again. Reboot

Let me know

Still no spop running according to pstree

I’ve double checked my Spotify credentials … is there no way to see if a Spotify login error is occurring, or even how to turn logging back on for error checking?

Well I’ve re-flashed the card twice and it showed exactly the same problem, and then suddenly spotify appears. I have no idea what the problem was or how it was rectified. I really would like the option of turning error logging on for situations like this … I’m sure that I could delve into the php.ini to do this, but it’s a big complex file, and I’d rather have a simple toggle somewhere in the web interface.

you need 2 enable the option to use additional devices in spotify itself. An will be email will be send too your email account, look for that option.
(dont have my spotify at hand right know, so I cant point you in detail, sry)

I’m happy this has been solved, even tough we don’t know why… Anyway, if you still need to check what’s was going wrong, let me know and I’ll explain how to turn logs on…

Hi,

i’, having the same issue however i found this issue :

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /var/log/spopd.log
2014-12-07 12:29:00 [ERR ] Can’t load sox audio plugin: libspop_audio_sox.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

volumio@volumio:~$ cat /etc/spopd.conf
[spop]
spotify_username =
spotify_password =
audio_output = sox

would be good to find a solution rather that reflash the sd.

Same here :frowning:

Edit:
First time i tried spotify i made a typo in my username. After that i had no chance to get Spotify work. So i recopied the img to the SD card. This time without any typo - it worked just fine.

Same here, Spotify doesn’t work. Error in the log right user and password in the configure file. Already re image the SD 3 times. Any idea how to,fix it without reinstall everything?
Regards, Caunus

Just to be certain, you are using a spotify premium account? Spotify free wont work.

What error do you get in the log caunus?

Same error as drugon [ERR ] Can’t load sox audio plugin: libspop_audio_sox.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It’s a premium account I’m using.

just to confirm, reflash solved the issue, i’m lucky it took only one reflash to fix :smiley:

Ok, tried it again before adding WLAN and my NAS share with a lot of title. And it works now. Currently the system is updating the db from the NAS music share. Hope after that Spotify will still work
Thanks for all support

I am having the exact same issue – except that my Spotify username and password appear in the /etc/spopd.conf file as expected. Spotify does not show up in the Browse menu. Disabling Spotify, rebooting, re-enabling it and rebooting again does not help. Would rather not have to re-image the SD. Any tips?

Following the guide at solution-fix-spotify-volumio-t2384.html I was able to get Spotify to appear in the Browse menu, with two categories “Starred” and “Windows Media Player”, but none of my saved albums appear there. I have a premium account.

Yes, the Spop daemon currently only reads your playlists, and not saved tracks/albums. I’m interested to see this feature added too! :slight_smile:

We might add this as a suggestion to the Spop repo.

Michelangelo - is there a possibility that SOX is not properly installed during the first flash, causing this error?

OK, thanks for this. I had no idea this would work with playlists only (I never use playlists, but will have to start doing so)

The ideal solution would be for Volumio to appear as a “device” that Spotify (controlled by computer / smartphone / whatever) can just play to. I understand from other threads that this is a possibility that could be implemented in the future.

Simply use “nano /etc/spopd.conf” to correct the username or password, had the same problem!