[Solved] Volumio and GPIO how?

Hi all

I am new to Volumio and I had a great start playing with it.
Downloaded the image and flashed it on a card. Fired up Raspi B+ and pointed Safari on my iPad to volumio.local. Bingo, all went well, I then configured the HifiBerry DAC+, did a reboot and played music (sitting on a USB stick) through HifiBerry DAC+
Really easy setup. Worked for me first time, great product!
A network scan (iPad app) on my local network shows
volumio

After that I installed this:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-mpd
and tried a simple python script to access mpd for the current song: works just fine.

Now I want to run python scripts like nextbutton and such - need GPIO to do this. So I installed this:

sudo apt-get install python-dev python-pip
sudo pip install RPi.GPIO

But now, sadly, the system no longer works. After reboot the network scan shows
volumio:root
and I am unable to connect to the webgui

I logged in as root from a Terminal on my Mac and I tried to manually restart the mpd but this fails:

root@volumio:~# sudo service mpd start
[…] Starting Music Player Daemon: mpdIllegal instruction
failed!
root@volumio:~#

Now, I wonder, how do other people use GPIO pins on Volumio systems? What I am doing wrong?
Help welcome.

Greetings, Peter

Hi

After going through all the entries in the forum and some experimentation, I was able to get GPIO working in python on a volumino system. What I did was this:

After writing volumio 1.5 on a card
I only did
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-mpd

and I did NOT do sudo apt-get upgrade

then I checked the latest RPi.GPIO from sourceforge.net and did

sudo su
wget sourceforge.net/projects/raspber … _armhf.deb
dpkg -i python-rpi.gpio_0.5.8-1_armhf.deb

After that volumio still did work and I was able to access GPIO from python.

That solved I still find volumio a great product but having worked in IT business for > 34 years as a systems engineer and programmer I would have expected some kind of documentation. I am kind of old fashioned and I would rather pay for a product and have a doc than getting it for free and being told I should browse an extensive forum for doc.

But still - I would recommend the product to a good friend.

Peter

I made a tutorial (sorry this is french) to push commands to volumio using gpio and python.
nextvortex.net/2014/11/29/tuto-v … berryclip/

More information on GPIO and how-to, please see: gpio-pins-control-volume-t2219.html

[closed to stop further resurrection and keep information consolidated]