[Solved] SMB/CIFS failure - Mac OS X 10.9

Lag-na, thanks for you guidance, but unfortunately I failed to get it to work. Because my share is an HDD (Drobo) attached to the iMac. I couldn’t locate the share name the way you suggested, but I went to the sharing pane in system preferences and found that the name of the iMac is 27-inch-iMac and it can be accessed at 27-inch-iMac.local.

I followed your instructions, entering the Remote Directory path as "27-inch-iMac.local/Drobo/Music. It seemed to work; I got the nice green tick. I had done this on Volumio 1.4 which already had a successful NFS connection to Volumes/Drobo/Music. i.e. It appeared that I had two successful connections to the same music folder by two different methods.

I then reflashed the SD card with Volumio 1.4 so that I had a completely new installation without the NFS connection. Unfortunately, I have had no success with this so it looks like that for now I’ll have to revert to NFS.

If you have any other ideas I’ll like to try them.

Cheers
Ifor

1. in the address, I think that in Volumio you need an IP address, not a name
  2. you entered all that stuff in the Remote directory? I thought it was clear that it must include only the remote directory, not the server name.

Suggestions:

1. launch this on the mac terminal:
ifconfig | grep broadcast

and you get something like:

inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255

You may get two lines if you are using both wired and wireless on your imac. In that case, go to the System Prefs, Network and check which one is which one and decide which one you want to use (I would say the wired one). Of course you can also check directly in System Prefs, Network without using the terminal, if you know where to look.

Anyway, take the IP of the interface you chose and put it in Volumio as server address. I would not use a Bonjour name (the ones “.local” are from Bonjour) for a SMB share. At least not as first try.
Since in OS X the name of the share is easily guessable, you may try to put “Volumes/Drobo/Music” as Remote directory. If it doesn’t work (try my advanced options too), than take out the first part and use only “Drobo/Music” (notice the lack of slash at the beginning in both cases).

I have tried all those options previously and since, but with no luck.

The only solution is to login via SSH and with proper knowledge try to mount it from the command line with something like

mount -t cifs LOCAL_PATH //IP_ADDRESS/REMOTE_PATH -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,ro,noatime,sec=[ntlm | ntlmv2] --verbose

and report the output messages you get.

What do I enter for LOCAL_PATH? The next bit I assume would be //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music -o

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOCAL_PATH must be an existing and empty local folder, could be something like “/mnt/myNAS”

Sorry, I don’t understand. I’ll wait until it’s sorted like it is with Rune 0.3alpha, where they have two different SMB/CIFS options; one for windows and one for Mac OS X.

the mount command takes a remote SMB folder and puts it in a local folder.
If you write
mount -t cifs LOCAL_PATH //IP_ADDRESS/REMOTE_PATH -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,ro,noatime,sec=[ntlm | ntlmv2] --verbose
it means “take the REMOTE_PATH located in the server IP_ADDRESS and show its content in the folder LOCAL_PATH”.
This means you need to have an existing (empty) folder LOCAL_PATH where you want to see the remote files. Typically these local paths are placed in /mnt.

Try to execute these two commands from the SSH shell:

mkdir /mnt/myNAS mount -t cifs /mnt/myNAS //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,ro,noatime,sec=ntlmv2 --verbose
with obviously the actual username and password of the Mac.

No joy unfortunately. This is what I got, “mount: mount point //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music does not exist”.

And in the UI, " Last system mount error
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music, missing codepage or helper program, or other error (for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount. helper program) In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so

If it says wrong mountpoint and it gives that one, maybe I inverted the position of the two paths :frowning:
Try to switch the //10… and the /mnt/…

I’m not sure whether I followed your instruction as you intended, but this is what I did and what was returned.

root@volumio:~# mount -t cifs //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music mnt/myNAS -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,ro,noatime,sec=ntlmv2 --verbose
mount: mount point mnt/myNAS does not exist

Have you executed this?

mkdir /mnt/myNAS

and also you skipped a leading slash here:

mnt/myNAS

should be

/mnt/myNAS

Yes to the first question:

root@volumio:~# mkdir /mnt/myNAS
mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt/myNAS’: File exists

With insertion of the missing leading slash:

root@volumio:~# mount -t cifs //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music /mnt/myNAS -o username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,ro,noatime,sec=ntlmv2 --verbose
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //10.0.0.111/Drobo/Music,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error
(for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might
need a /sbin/mount. helper program)
In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Have you tried executing

dmesg | tail

immediately after you got the error? that gives additional useful info.

root@volumio:~# dmesg | tail
[ 64.121833] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor performance
[ 64.130079] bcm2835-cpufreq: switching to governor performance
[ 302.684542] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): error count: 3
[ 302.691479] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): initial error at 1396987247: mb_free_blocks:1426: block 309248
[ 302.705373] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): last error at 1396987322: ext4_remount:4680
[22919.126632] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
[86801.612863] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): error count: 3
[86801.619991] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): initial error at 1396987247: mb_free_blocks:1426: block 309248
[86801.634162] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p3): last error at 1396987322: ext4_remount:4680
[154974.649429] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22

stackoverflow.com/questions/6734 … 2-indicate

Try those options (of course that “sec=ntlmssp” replaces my “sec=ntlmv2”).

Sorted! I flashed a new card with 1.4 and did it all from the UI. If 1.5 could have an OS X SMB/CIFS option set like this it would be great.

Thanks for all your help. I just hope I remember it if it doesn’t get built into 1.5.

Please add this to the list of successes. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand wich are the final “advanced settings” you used. Please list them all here and I will add them to the thread about the SMB guide.

I left everything unchanged except for the Mount Flags where I used nounix,sec=ntlmssp.

What I now don’t understand is how with V1.5 I can mount the previous share without having to do anything via ssh, but I can’t mount any folders on any other Macs on the network.