1.51 hangs when playing WAV over UPNP

Volumio 1.51 hangs when I sent WAV files for playback over UPNP. I still can access with putty and reboot, but volumio doesn’t respond any longer.

The same files played by the web interface cause no problems.

BR

Michael

Michael,

What is your source ? Pc, network drive etc.
How do you control the playback ? Hardware and software used. E.g. Ipad + skifta, pc + jriver etc.
Rpi with wireless dongle or hard wired ethernet ?
Resolution of wav files e.g 44.1 khz 16 bit

With this information i can have a look to see if i can find an explanation or solution.

Kevin

Kevin,

I’m using a DS213j as UPnP server. Pi and discstation connected by LAN using a fixed IP adress.

UPnP control points are Audionet RCP or eezUPnP on a WinXP non a Samsung NC10 netbook (WLAN). Same result with both controllers. I tried WAV files with 16 and 24bit and SR of 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz. Neither works. Didn’t try 192kHz so far. But I expect the same behavior.

FLAC files of all resolutions and SR up to 192kHz are fine in this system.

Michael

Just for infomation, Use package “Minim server” on synology : It’s great to use music files and the propositions on the upnp server source. :slight_smile:

Michael,

Which server are you uSing on Synology ?

Audio station ?

DLNA Server ?

Do you get the same result with both ?

Another option is minim server as glop109 suggests. If you can eliminate the server used on the Synology as a variable then this will help identify problem.

FYI If you use volumio miniDLNA Server with the synology content mounted the situation is different. I will need to check the DLNA Specs to explain the intricacies.

Kevin

hi, Keven.

i have the same problem with volumio v1.51 on raspberry pi as Michael do.
i cant play wav file over UPNP, and the same situation with Michael.
i’m using pc+jriver as a media server over the UPNP network, and jriver for controlling the volumio.
the volumio works well with flac, mp3 and wma files over the UPNP network, and as well as wav files from usb host.
but it dont work with wave file over the UPNP service.

if there is not informative enough, please tell me how to find it to supply it to you, thanks.

Fortunia,

I have 3 questions for you,
What audio output are you using, e.g. Audio jack out, hdmi, usb dac, i2s dac etc. ?
Are you using enet port or wireless enet with usb dongle ?
What resolution / bitrate are your wav and flac files ?

I should be able to reproduce your conditions but not for a few days.

Kevin

thanks for response, Kevin.

i use hifiberry DiGi+ to connect a dac by coaxial cable for audio output without resampling and software volume control turned off.
by enet port for UPNP service.
problems with 16bit 44kHz wav files over UPNP.
tried both 16bit 44kHz flac files and 24bit 192kHz flac files through UPNP network and by usb port, it all works well.

just take your time.
i can still play wav files by usb port and enjoy music on raspi with volumio. :stuck_out_tongue: (it makes music more beautiful with convenience ever! )

thanks for the volumio develop team did this great job. :sunglasses:

I’m using the media server, which is what you name DLNA server I assume. The audio station is as far as I know only a web interface to the music library on the disc station.

BR

Michael

Michael,

Time is tight for me and will be out of action till second half of January.

I would try playback using Audio Station - look at the synology manual. It works a bit different to what you have described so far so it is a good test,

Happy New Year

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I tried playback of WAV files trough the Audio Station of my DS213j. I added several WAV files to the playlist of the Audio Station. It’s only possible to play the first WAV in the list. Skipping forward as well as directly playing any other file from the list doesn’t work. Only the first file is playable!

No Problem with FLAC files. I can play any file from the playlist. Skipping forward, backwards no problem at all.

BR

Michael

Mihael,

What bit rate is the FLAC file ? Is this compressed or uncompressed FLAC.

You could download trial version of dbPoweAmp and try convert your wav file to uncompressed FLAC and vice cersa.

Kevin

FLAC files work with 16bit as well as 24bit resolution and at all sampling rates (44.1; 48; 88.2; 96; 192kHz). No matter which compression I choose on the FLAC encoder. Volumio plays them all!

The problem is with WAV only.

But it seems that I’m the only one with playback problems of WAV files…

i found the solution to play wav over upnp network. :open_mouth:

i found a blog written in chinese, that blog author wrote that mpd support a resampler told “soxr”,
this can make rpi more effective in decoding music files.
while using this resampler, soxr, the cpu usage will come down to about 30% to output music with 24bit/192khz hi-resolution.

this is his blog:http://twupsha.blogspot.tw/2014/03/raspyfi-volumio.html
and here to download the mpd with soxr that he compiled: drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TrJY … sp=sharing

after downloaded, we need to put the mpd to /etc/usr/bin, and put the two lib files to /etc/usr/lib.
then we have to edit the mpd.conf:
replace these lines:

audio_output_format "*:*:*" samplerate_converter "Best Sinc Interpolator/Medium Sinc Interpolator/Fastest Sinc Interpolator"
with these lines:

audio_output_format "192000:24:2" samplerate_converter "soxr"
complete.
then we can use 24bit/192khz output mode with rpi.
and what amazing is, i can play all wav file from upnp network, now.
i can also play ape files over upnp network. :open_mouth:

however, that blog author compiled mpd is an older version.
when i want to compile a newer version of mpd with soxr support, i bumped into a problem, the situation like this:
passed step:

1. installed soxr, ecasound, cmt, swh-plugins and ladspa-sdk.
  2. downloaded the newest mpd and ready to compile:

git clone git://git.musicpd.org/master/mpd.git cd mpd ./autogen.sh ./configure --enable-pipe-output
3. input “make” to compile, and got error message:

src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx: In function ‘Tag mpd_despotify_tag_from_track(const ds_track&)’: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:86:12: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ if (!track.has_meta_data) ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:93:51: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ snprintf(tracknum, sizeof(tracknum), "%d", track.tracknumber); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:99:43: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ snprintf(date, sizeof(date), "%d", track.year); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:107:10: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ track.file_bitrate / 1000, ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:108:10: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ track.geo_restricted ? "" : "not "); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:112:30: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ tag.AddItem(TAG_TITLE, track.title); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:113:31: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ tag.AddItem(TAG_ARTIST, track.artist->name); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:114:30: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ tag.AddItem(TAG_ALBUM, track.album); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:115:46: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct ds_track’ tag.SetDuration(SignedSongTime::FromMS(track.length)); ^ In file included from src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.cxx:20:0: src/lib/despotify/DespotifyUtils.hxx:25:8: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct ds_track’ struct ds_track; ^ make[1]: *** [src/lib/despotify/libinput_a-DespotifyUtils.o] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/mpd' make: *** [all] Error 2

could somebody help me to solve this? thx a lot.

i did it again from the img file of volumio v1.51, and failed several times.
i don’t remember i did this process, but now i should add a line below to make this works.